Monday, August 01, 2016

What Out of Africa produces

I've been chasing this one for a long time but I've finally got my hands on a copy of the Summer 2011 edition of the Dutch journal F.R. DAVID which contains a translation of Serge Daney's review of Out of Africa when shown on French television in 1988. A savage little text nailing the "aesthetics of advertising" and a disastrous use of soundtrack (substituting Mozart with John Barry).

What Out of Africa produces
Originally published in Libération, 11 October 1988. Reprinted in F.R.DAVID "spin cycle", Summer 2011, de Appel, Amsterdam, 2011, pp. 185-188. Translation by John Kelsey. Fist published in English in Made in USA.

You can find an alternative translation on Steve Erickson's website. I'll dropped the publisher a note to ask if I can post the text on the blog.

1 comment:

Comments are moderated to filter spam.