The lack of English translations of Daney has just become more apparent after I’ve found many books of Daney in other languages.
With Daney’s key texts available in German, Italian and Spanish, Portuguese and Japanese, one wonders if the English-speaking film lovers are the only ones missing out on his writings.
Argentinean publishers have released Daney’s texts from three of his books (La Rampe, Ciné Journal as well as the whole of Persevérance).
- Cine, Arte Del Presente, 2004, Buenos Aires, Santiago Arcos Editor
- Perseverancia: Reflexiones Sobre El Cine, 1998, Buenos Aires. Editiones El amante
A book called “Of the World in Pictures proposes late texts and interviews, including Perseverance.
- Von der Welt ins Bild, 2000, Berlin, Vorwerk 8 Verlag
Italian publishers have made the most consistent effort with no less than four books released since Daney’s death and covering his key texts from the time of Libération to Perséverance.
- Lo sguardo ostinato, Riflessioni di un cinefilo, Editrice Il Castoro, 1995
- Il cinema, e oltre, Diari 1988-1991, Editrice Il Castoro, 1997
- Cinema, televisione, informazione, Edizioni E/O, 1999
- Ciné Journal, Marsilio editori, 1999
The English speakers are in fact in the same positions as Japanese speakers with only Perseverance – the only Daney book with no film criticism – available.
Let's have a thought for the South Korean students who contacted me to translate Daney from English to Korean. Publishers, one more effort. Please.